Please see our job postings below and follow instructions listed in the job description to apply.
We are hiring!
Position: Adult ESL Teacher/Program Coordinator
Employee of: Community Partners (Fiscal Sponsor)
Hours and Compensation: $20 per hour for 35 hours per week plus benefits.
Who we are:
The Long Beach Immigrant Rights Coalition, established in 2006, is a grassroots network of community organizations and individuals working for just immigration policies and practices that respect human rights and the dignity of immigrants, through education, services, and advocacy.
The Long Beach Immigrant Rights Coalition is hiring an Adult ESL Teacher / Program Coordinator to teach Tuesdays and Thursdays mornings in downtown Long Beach, Tuesdays and Thursdays evenings in north Long Beach, and Friday mornings at a West Long Beach location.
Our students are immigrant adults seeking to improve their English language skills. Some have the goal of passing the oral section of the U.S. citizenship test; others want to improve their English in order to better communicate in their jobs, families, and communities. The students enter the classes at various levels of literacy (in their native language as well as English) and various degrees of previous English language exposure. A successful teacher in this program is someone who has a passion for working with adult immigrants, can create an atmosphere of trust and support within the classroom, and can inspire our students to reach their goals. The ESL teacher attends regular LBIRC staff meetings and integrates LBIRC organizational goals into the ESL program.
We follow a 10-month academic calendar but a 12-month contract with summer assignments in the LBIRC office is an option.
- Plan and teach culturally appropriate, level-appropriate English lessons.
- Assess student levels of language proficiency.
- Prepare lesson plans and materials for students and volunteers.
- Organize volunteers and prepare them to assist competently in the classroom.
- Maintain records of student class hours so that students with 100 hours of work can receive their certificates from the City of Long Beach.
- Manage LBIRC membership status and dues for ESL students.
- Coordinate with our class hosting sites (churches, schools, etc.) and maintain good relationships with them.
- Organize end-of-the-semester celebrations with students.
- Attend LBIRC staff meetings and maintain good relationships with other LBIRC staff members.
- Previous experience and training in teaching English language learners (1 year minimum).
- Flexibility in adapting to the diverse levels of literacy and language skill of our adult immigrant students.
- Commitment to LBIRC’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Strong spoken and written English language skills.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise volunteer teaching assistants.
- Ability to work well with other members of the LBIRC staff.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Work permit/ work authorization.
- Previous experience in designing curriculum for adult English language learners.
- Previous experience working successfully with immigrant families.
- Basic Spanish language skills
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Latino/Latin American culture.
- Knowledge of best practices in teaching English as a Second Language pedagogies and teaching techniques.
- An enthusiastic, supportive and compassionate style of interacting with students that can create trust and sense of family among our working adult ESL learners
To apply, submit a resume, 3 professional references (contact info only), and cover letter to Maribel Cruz, Operations Manager. You may email documents to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on May 10th. The position will be open until filled.
Community Partners® is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and seek to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the community we serve.
Click below for PDF version of job post: